ITS and UVa logos for printed output

The Student Information System

FAQs for Faculty

Frequently Asked Questions for Faculty Using the SIS

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

What do the different enrollment numbers mean on cross-listed classes?
  • The SIS tracks enrollment for combined sections by individual section, and for the combination, allowing departments to set enrollment figures for each section independently as well as overall.
  • Two sets of figures are displayed to show the number of seats available in the particular section, as well as overall.
  • Depending on how the enrollment figures are set, either section may fill first, or the overall enrollment limit may be reached before one section or the other closes.
How do I browse for classes in SIS?
  • To find classes for an upcoming term, use SEARCH FOR CLASSES in your Faculty Center.
  • You must identify at least two search criteria.
  • First select the term.
  • You can enter a particular subject or click on the select subject button to browse a list of subjects. Then, click the Search button to see all open classes within that subject. (Note that "Show Open Classes Only" is a default search criteria; to include wait listed classes, uncheck this box.)
  • The Additional Search Criteria you can search by instructor, keyword, and other criteria without specifying a subject and get results from multiple departments.
  • Enrollment figures are in real-time.
Click here for helpful information for students on enrollment functions — add, drop, swap, edit.
Can I view a student's transcript in SIS?
You can view an unofficial transcript via the Faculty Center. You can also view grades and statistics term-by-term on the Academics tab of the Student Services Center.
When using Block Enroll, I received a message indicating “Requirement Designation is set to ‘yes’”.  Is this an indication that there was a requirement designation attached to the class?
The requirement designation set to "yes" message appears whenever a student enrolls in a course with a requirement designation. This occurs whether it is a single enrollment request or block enrollment.
What is the best way for a student to swap a dependent discussion or lab while remaining enrolled in the same primary lecture section?
If a student wants to swap a dependent discussion or lab, while remaining enrolled in the same primary lecture section, it is easier to use the “Edit” function rather than the “Swap.”
What if an undergraduate student wants to enroll in a 6000 or higher level course?
The student must complete a Course Action Form and have it signed by the instructor, and processed by the person in their Dean's Office.
Is there a way for a student to drop a discussion if it is changed to be an optional component after the student has already enrolled?
If the class has been set up with required components, students will need to enroll in all required components, and they will not be able to drop individual required components.

If the class has been set up with optional components, students will only be required to enroll for required components. However, if a component is made optional after a student is already enrolled, and the student wants to drop the optional component, then the student must drop all components and re-add the required component. This may lead to complications if the class requires instructor consent for enrollment or if there are students on a waitlist, which will require administrative intervention. In addition, an optional component may still result in a time conflict error with another class if the student remains enrolled in it.

  Page Updated: Thursday 2017-09-28 16:28:40 EDT