WiFi at UVa
Manually Connect Mac OS X to UVa’s Encrypted cavalier Wireless Network
Before You Configure for cavalier WiFi...
Requirements to Connect
In addition to the general requirements to connect to cavalier WiFi, to manually configure you also must have:
- Access to a wired Ethernet network port at the University
- Administrator access to your computer
Manually Connect Mac OS X to cavalier WiFi
Prepare Your Computer
- Connect to the Internet via your wired Ethernet connection. (See how to connect to the UVa wired network.)
- Register your computer’s hardware address for both your wired, Ethernet (en0), and
wireless, AirPort (en1), network adapters. To find both hardware addresses:
- Open the Network Utility application and select the appropriate network interface by clicking the up and down arrow.
- Toggle first to Ethernet (en0), and then to AirPort (en1), as illustrated below. This will display the hardware address for each device.
- Make a note of these, and then register each hardware address on the
UVa Network Registration website.
- Run Software Update from the Apple menu (the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen) to make sure your operating system and other system components (e.g., AirPort software) are up-to-date.
Connect to Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless
- Click the AirPort menu bar icon  located at the top right of your screen.
- From the menu select “Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless”.
- Pull down on the AirPort icon in the menu bar.
Remove Any Cavalier Wireless Profiles
- Under the Apple menu (the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen) open "System Preferences."
- Click on the "Profiles" icon if present. If the icon is not present,
continue to the next step "Install Your Personal Certificate."
- Highlight the "University of Virginia" profile.
- Click the " - " button to remove the profile.
- Close "System Preferences."
Install Your Personal Digital Certificate
- Get a personal digital certificate by following the instructions to manually get a certificate in Mac OS X.
- After the import process is complete, you will see that the following 5 files have
been added to your login Keychain:
- Your Private Key
- Your Personal Digital Certificate
- USHER CA1 v1
- UVA Standard Assurance USHER
- UVA USHER PKP CA 1
Configure Settings for cavalier
- Click the AirPort menu bar icon  located at the top right of your screen. (If AirPort is off , select Turn AirPort On from the Airport menu, and then click the AirPort icon again.) From the menu, select cavalier.
- You will be prompted to enter WiFi network information in the screen below.
- In the “Mode” box select “EAP-TLS”.
- In the “Identity” box select your certificate you added in step 2 above. It will be your name followed by a number. The one with the highest number is the newest certificate.
- The “Username” box must be left blank.
- Check the box “Remember this Network”.
- Click the “Join” button.
- You may be asked again to choose your certificate. Choose your certificate.
- Wait a few seconds.
- Open a Web browser such as Safari. If you can reach websites outside of UVa, registration is complete. If your device is not registered, you will automatically connect to the UVa Network Registration website. Complete registration and reboot.
Once you are connected, you will maintain a connection to cavalier unless you:
- move out of range of the cavalier wireless network, or
- turn off your WiFi.