WiFi at UVa
Connect to UVa’s Encrypted cavalier Wireless Network
Before You Configure for cavalier WiFi...
Requirements to Connect
- You must be a faculty, staff, or student at UVa (for guests, see UVa Guest WiFi Access)
- You must have a Permanent UVa password (for help, see the Lost Password Wizard)
- Your computer or device must have an updated, supported operating system
- You must be within range of UVa’s encrypted cavalier WiFi network
- Your computer or device must have the correct time and date
- Your computer or device must have WiFi enabled
First-time UVa WiFi Setup Options
Use the UVa Network Setup Tool to connect supported operating systems to the University’s encrypted cavalier WiFi network. Access this automated Tool, which does all the work for you:
Connect to cavalier WiFi: Access the UVa Network Setup Tool
Set Up cavalier WiFi Via the Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless Network
- Connect to the Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless WiFi network. (view how to do this):
- Open a supported Web browser. You’ll be auto-directed to the UVa Network Setup Tool.
- Download and run the appropriate Tool for your operating system. The Tool will:
- configure your access to UVa’s encrypted cavalier WiFi network, and
- automatically install a personal digital certificate on your computer or device.
Having problems? See Troubleshooting Tips, below.
Set Up cavalier WiFi with a Wired Ethernet Connection
Troubleshooting cavalier WiFi Setup
- Does it seem your WiFi setup didn’t work? Try rebooting. Sometimes simply restarting will make it successfully connect.
- Are you connecting to cavalier or another network? After the Tool runs, ensure that cavalier is now your primary wireless network. If cavalier is not listed first at the top of your available WiFi networks, make it your preferred network and tell your device not to use Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless anymore; to “Forget this network.” (Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless is for first-time setup only.)
- Still having problems? Re-run the Tool one more time. See also Network Setup Tool Troubleshooting and Configuring iOS for Encrypted cavalier WiFi.
Configure for WiFi Manually
The manual configuration may require first connecting to the UVa network with a wired, Ethernet connection, and then following the instructions appropriate for your operating system:
Manually connect to UVa’s encrypted cavalier wireless network on:
Or, manually connect to UVa’s unencrypted wahoo wireless network on:
How to Connect to the Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless WiFi Network
On Windows 10: Click on the icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen to bring up a list of available wireless networks. Select Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless, leave the Connect automatically box unchecked, and click “Connect”.
On Windows 8.1: Switch to the desktop view by selecting the Desktop tile to get a conventional Windows desktop. In the lower right-hand corner of the screen, you will see a network icon showing wireless signal strength. Click on it to bring up a list of available wireless networks in the Network sidebar. Select Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless, leave the Connect automatically box unchecked, and click “Connect.”
On Windows 7: Click on the computer monitor icon in the system tray. ” Select Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless from the list and click “Connect.”
On a Mac: Select Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless from the AirPort menu near the top of your screen on right side of the menu bar.
On an iOS device: For iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches, tap Settings, then WiFi, then select the Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless network, and tap Join.