Videoconferencing at UVa
Videoconferencing involves new and rapidly evolving technologies. This section of ITSWeb will provide information about this network resource. New items will be added and information updated regularly.
- Videoconferencing Overview
- The protocols and concepts used in videoconferencing, and how different issues affect use of these resources.
- Making Arrangements
- A list of basic topics to cover when making arrangements with other sites for a videoconference, and links to more information on the topics.
- Desktop Videoconferencing
- How to set up and use Internet-based videoconferencing from an office.
- Group Videoconferencing
- Endpoints, services and issues when videoconferencing in small groups in a common office or from a conference room.
- Broadcast Quality
- IP-based motion JPEG or MPEG-2 are recommended, but this website does not address this level of use. If you need assistance in this area, please contact ITS for referral suggestions.
- MCU and Gatekeeper Services
- MCU services can be used by any videoconference user to enable multi-site sessions. The gatekeeper allows use of the Global Dialing Scheme (GDS). These centralized services are maintained by ITS for use by the UVa community.
- Sharing Materials
- This collection of Web pages has information on incorporating many types of traditional teaching and presentation materials into a videoconference. There is also a webpage which explains the newer H.239 presentation channel.
- Problems with firewalls and videoconferencing; also video compression (blank screen at one site).
- Network Registration
- What sort of videoconferencing endpoints need to be registered on the network, symptoms that an endpoint is not registered, and how to do it.
- School of Continuing and Professional Studies
- SCPS offers for-fee videoconference facilities to the UVa community. It is not affiliated with ITS, but we work together to match resources with needs.
Page Updated: 2012-02-16