University Telephone System
Quick Start Guide for VVX300/410 Phone Models
The Polycomm Model VVX300 telephone has limited deployment at the University. Please use the information below for the VVX300 as well as the VVX410 telephones.
Table of Contents
Your phone has 3 main views: Home, Calls, and Lines view (the default). You can access Home and Lines view at any time. If your phone has 1 or more calls, you can also access Calls view.
The Home Key
For Home view from any menu, press the Home key. You can also press the Home key to alternate between Home and Lines view.
Home view displays icons you can select to access phone functions.
To get to different icons, you can use the right, left, up, and down arrow keys on the Navigation key. To choose an icon, press the Select button in the center of the Navigation key.
Lines view displays phone Lines, Favorites and soft keys. If your phone is idle, you can press the Line key to access the Dialer.
Tip: Referring to Soft Keys
In this guide, soft keys are referred to by their name only. For example, to end an active call, press End Call.
If your phone has 1 or more calls, you can access Calls view.
Call color indicates status:
• Dark green–Active call
• Bright blue–Incoming call
• Dark blue–Held call
Use the up and down arrow keys to select a call (highlight it). The soft keys control the highlighted call.
Tip: Switching Between Lines & Calls View
When in Calls view, switch to Lines view by pressing More, then Lines. Switch back to Calls view by pressing More, then Calls.
Viewing Recent Calls
From Lines view, do one of the following:
- Press the Home key, select Directories, and select Recent Calls to view your Recent Calls list.
- Press the right arrow key to view the recent Placed Calls.
- Press the left arrow key to view the recent Received Calls.
- Press the down arrow key to view the recent Missed Calls.
- Press the up arrow key to view Favorites.
From the Recent Calls list, press Sort to sort and order calls, press Type to display only certain calls, or select a call record to call the person.
About CallsOnly one call can be active at one time. You can use the handset, speakerphone, or headset for calls. During a call, you can change modes by picking up the handset, or by pressing the headset key or speaker key.
Placing CallsYou can make a call in any of the following ways:
- Pick up the handset, or press the speaker or headset key. Then enter the phone number.
- Enter the phone number first, then press Dial. You may pick up the handset or press the headset key for privacy.
- From Lines view: Press the Phone Line key, then enter the phone number.
- From Home view: Select New Call using the left and right arrow keys. Then enter the phone number.
Timesaver: Placing Calls Quickly
Tap a recent call or Favorite, or select a contact's phone number in the Contact Directory.
To call another UVa phone:
Enter the 5-digit number.
To make a local call:
Dial 9 + 7-digit phone number.
To make a long-distance call:
Enter 9 + 1 + 10-digit phone number.
If a long-distance Forced Authoriztion Code (FAC) is required, you will be prompted to enter it.
- Pick up the handset.
- Press the speaker key or Answer to answer with the speakerphone.
- Press the headset key.
- Press Answer to take a new call while on an active call. The current call will be held.
- Replace the handset.
- Press the speaker key.
- Press the headset key.
- Press End Call.
- From Calls view, highlight the call, then press Hold.
- To resume a held call, highlight the call, the press again.
- Blind (Unannounced): From Calls view, press Transfer or . Press Blind and dial the party you wish to transfer to.
- Announced: From Calls view, press Transfer or . Dial the party you wish to transfer to. After you speak to the desired party, press Transfer again to complete the call.
- To enable call forwarding, press Forward from Home or Lines view. Select the forwarding type to enable, enter a forwarding number, and press Enable.*
- To disable call forwarding, press Forward from Home or Lines view, select the forwarding type to disable, and press Disable.*
- To enable per-call forwarding: As your phone rings, press Forward, enter the forwarding number, and press Forward.
- Call the first party.
- After the call connects, press More, and select Confrnc. (More and Confrnc will appear after you start the call.)
- Then, dial and connect with the second party.
- Press Confrnc again.
From Lines or Calls view, you can:
- Press Hold to hold all participants, press Resume to retrieve conference from hold.
- Press End Call to end the conference call.
Timesaver: Placing Conference Calls
If you already have an active and held call, press Join to bring these calls together in conference.
* Phones with Shared Call Appearances will not have the Forward option available on their menus. Instead, please use Feature Access Codes to set forwarding.
Contact DirectoryTo select a contact from the Contact Directory, press the Navigation keys/Select key.
- To view your Directory: Select Directories from Home view. Press Contact Directory on the Directory screen.
- To add a contact: Navigate to your Contact Directory and press Add. Enter the contact's information, and press Save. To make a contact a Favorite, enter a Favorite Index number.
- To update contact information: Navigate to your Contact Directory and select the contact. Press Info, then press Edit, update the contact's information, and press Save.
- To delete a contact: Navigate to your Contact Directory and select the contact. Press Info, then press Delete, and press Yes to confirm.
- To search for a contact: Navigate to your Contact Directory and press Search. Enter search criteria and press Search.
- To dial a contact from your Directory: Navigate to your Contact Directory and select the contact. From the contact's information screen, select the contact's phone number.
Creating Speed Dial ContactsYou may add a speed dial key to any blank line key.
- Press and hold the blank line key you would like to use.
- Enter the contact's first and last name (as you would like to see it appear on your display).
- Enter the contact's phone number in the "Contact" field.
- Press Save. The line key will now be a speed dial for that contact.
FavoritesFavorites are contacts you call most often. Your Favorites list displays all your Favorites. A smaller number of Favorites displays in Lines view.
- To view your Favorites list—From Home view, press and select Directories, then Favorites.
- To make a contact a Favorite—Navigate to your Contact Directory and select the contact. Press Info, then press More, and select Add. Press Yes to confirm.
- To dial a Favorite—Press the Favorite from Home or Lines view, or from your Favorites list.
Tip: What Does the Star Mean?
A green star indicates a Favorite.
Entering DataUse the dialpad keys to enter information. To backspace or delete, press Backspace.
To type with the dialpad keys, press a key repeatedly to view the character options and stop to select.
To type other characters, press Encoding or Mode. When using the dialpad keys, use the 1, *, 0, and # keys.
Muting the Microphone
During a call, press the mute button so other parties
can't hear you. To disable Mute, press again. This applies to calls using the handset, headset, and speakerphone.
Using Do Not Disturb (DND)
The Do Not Disturb (DND) feature allows you to forward all your calls directly to voicemail (the caller will hear your Busy greeting when DND is activated). When DND is enabled, calls cannot be received until you disable the feature. To enable or disable ringing, press DND from Home or Lines view. When Do Not Disturb is enabled, the DND icon displays in the status bar and beside the appropriate Line key.
To change call volume, press the appropriate side of during a call. To change the ringer volume, press when the phone is idle or ringing.
To change the incoming call ringtone, select Settings from Home view, and press Basic then Ring Type. Select the ringtone you want.
To set a ringtone for a contact, navigate to your Contact Directory and select the contact. Press Edit, update the contact's ring type, and press Save.