Mac OS X at UVa
Make Secure Telnet Connections with Terminal
Connect Via SSH
- Open the Terminal application: in the
Applications > Utilities folder, click the
- From the Shell menu, select New Remote
- Click Secure Shell (ssh) in the Service column.
- In the blank field at the bottom of the Connect to server window, enter
the hostname or IP address of the server you wish to connect to. Enter your user id in the
User: field, and click Connect.
- You will then be prompted for your password on that server. When you type
your password your keystrokes will not be displayed, for security reasons.
Save Your SSH Settings
- Start the Terminal application, and open the Connect to
server window, as described in steps 1–3 above.
- Click + under the Server column.
- Enter the hostname or IP address of the server you wish to connect to—e.g.,
blue.unix.virginia.edu. Click OK.
- Enter user ID in the User: field, click Connect and
your information will be saved.