SecureFX 7.x for Windows
Transfer Files to/from Servers using Secure FTP Protocol
SecureFX provides secure file transfer, with several different encryption protocols, and allows encrypted logins and Secure FTP sessions with many servers and UNIX computers at UVA. This software is licensed to the University of Virginia and provided to those individuals who are employed by or enrolled at UVA. All other use is strictly prohibited.
SecureFX provides encrypted logins and FTP connections for transferring files using the Secure FTP protocol to provide improved security during login and transfer.
Download the installer for SecureFX for Windows to a folder on your hard drive that you use for downloads.
Note: It is possible to have more than one version of SecureFX installed at the same time. If you only want the new version, use the Windows Add/Remove Programs control panel (Start | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs) to remove previous versions.
- Log into Windows as Administrator or as an administrator-equivalent user.
- Double-click the installer file (usually named fx.exe) that you downloaded to your hard drive; the following table summarizes the resulting prompts and suggested responses:
Prompt Response Welcome Click Next. License Agreement
Accept the terms in the license agreement, and click Next .
Select Profile Options The default is a Common profile for all users; if you are the only person using your computer, this is the better selection for you. If several people share a computer, then you may want to choose Personal. Click Next. Setup Type The default is Complete, which is better for most users. If you know you wish to limit the installation in some way, then you may want to choose Custom. Click Next. Select Shortcut Options The default is to create both a program group and a desktop shortcut. Click Next. Ready to Install the Program Click Install. Installshield Wizard Completed Select any options you would like, and click Finish.
- Reconnect the computer to the network.
- Launch SecureFX using either its Windows Desktop icon or the Windows Start menu (usually Start | All Programs | SecureFX 7.x | SecureFX 7.x).
- In the Connect window that appears, choose one of the Sessions listed, or make an additional connection. If a Connect window does not appear, click the Connect icon or select File | Connect from the menu at the top of the SecureFX window.
- Click the Connect button.
- If you see a prompt regarding a New Host Key, the usual response is to click the Accept & Save button.
- You will be prompted to provide your Username (e.g.: mst3k); type it and click OK.
- A new prompt appears with the user name provided, and a prompt for password for the remote machine. Type your account password and click OK.
- A window will appear open to your remote computer.
- Once connected you can drag & drop files and folders between your computer and the server.