ITS Services Catalog
Service Detail Listing
Email for Students (Gmail)
Student email is provided on a Google Education Domain (Gmail).
- Provides a complete communication package, including email, integrated instant messaging, online document sharing, calendaring, Web publishing tools, and more
- Students may retain their UVA Gmail accounts "for life"
Requirements for service
- None for Web access; however, new students must read the Responsible Computing Handbook and complete the Responsible Computing Tutorial with a score of 100% before they will be allowed to activate their UVA Gmail account.
- You must have established a Google password through your Google account settings and have configured your computer's email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) or mobile device using these UVA Gmail settings.
Common Good service included in school/major unit direct allocation.
How to get this service
- New students will automatically have an account created for them, but they must complete the Responsible Computing Tutorial before they can access their Gmail account. Links to the tutorial are on the Student Accounts website.
- User-initiated through the UVA Email request Web interface
Estimated delivery time after service request
Automatic, available within 15 minutes • Target for achieving delivery timeframe: 99.5%
Service home page
Full-time (24 x 7 x 365), 434-924-4357 • Referrals:
Standard Business Hours (8 AM to 5 PM Mon–Fri)
Support Response Targets
2-hour response time from when a complete ticket is submitted to the Help Desk and within specified support operating hours listed above.
Full-time (24 x 7 x 365) • Availability percentage target:
- Availability based on Google metrics which define a downtime as a window when there is more than a 5% user error rate for our domain
Category of Service
Virtualization and Microsoft Services (VAMS)
Feedback about this service