SPSS 20 (IBM Statistics 20)
SPSS 20 is now called IBM Statistics 20 and is available by download from the licensing website. SPSS 20 for Windows works on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. SPSS 20 for Macintosh works on Intel processors only using Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard), and Mac OS 10.7 (Lion).
Table of Contents
- Availability of Licenses and Media
- Before Installing SPSS 20
- Installation Using Download from the ITC RCSC Licensing Database
Availability of Licenses and Media
Students may not install IBM Statistics (SPSS) on personal computers.
Before Installing SPSS 20
- Go to the ITC Software Licensing Website, and log in through NetBadge.
- Scroll down to Licenses Available. Select SPSS 20 for your operating system, Windows or Mac, and click Submit.
- If you are staff or faculty, an entry for SPSS 20 for Windows or Mac (whichever you are trying to license) will appear in the Current Licenses section on the left side of the blue page. Students may not license SPSS from the Software Licensing Website, and SPSS will not even appear as an available license. The licensing database authenticates against the University's "whois" database. If you believe you are listed under the wrong category (i.e., student) please contact the ITS Accounts office.
- In the License Actions section on the right side of the page, select Review EULA & Change Licensing Info, and click Submit.
- Carefully read the End User License Agreement (EULA) for SPSS 20, enter the required information, and click Submit.
- You will return to the Summary of Current Licenses page. On the right side of the blue Web page select Access License Codes & Program Files, and click Submit.
- You will be sent to the SPSS 20 License Codes, Utilities, and Program Files Web page.
- Please follow steps 1 through 7, above. When you "Access License Codes & Program
Files", you will gain access to two important items:
- The Authorization Code for SPSS Version 20 (20 digits long; this is used during the License Authorization Wizard)
- The Program Files
- For Windows: UNZIP the .zip file to a folder on your computer that you can find later for installation. After unzipping the file, browse to the file IBM SPSS Statistics 20.msi. If you browse to the setup.exe file and click it, it will fail. Please use the IBM SPSS Statistics 20.msi to install SPSS.
- For Mac OS: Mount the .dmg file in finder. After mounting the file/drive, browse to the file SPSS_Statistics_Installer. Click the Installer to start installation.
- The Installation will start, and the SPSS Installation Splash Page will appear. Note: it may take several minutes for the splash screen to appear. This is normal. Please be patient.
- Select Install SPSS and the installation wizard will initialize.
- On the Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for SPSS 20 page, select the
second choice: Site License.
- Do not select Single user or Network License. If you select this choice, you will not be able to run SPSS.
- Click Next>.
- On the License Agreement page, select
accept the terms in this license agreement after reading the license
agreement. Click Next>.
- If you don't accept the terms of the license agreement, installation will stop.
- On the Read Me information page, click Next>.
- On the Customer Information page, enter:
- Your full name
- Your organization (e.g., UVa Department of Mathematics)
- The Serial Number, which is the shorter (8 or 9 digit) number you obtained from the same page as the program file on the ITC Software Licensing Website.
- Click Next>.
- On the Destination Folder page, accept the default folder that SPSS selects, and click Next>.
- On the Ready to install page, click Install.
- The program will start installing. Depending on your computer system, installation may take quite a long time.
- On the License and Register SPSS 20 page, select Get a License Now. Do not enable a temporary license, as it will expire shortly.
- The License Authorization Wizard splash page will appear. Click Start.
- Select the first choice: Use Authorization via Internet to get License. Do not select any other choices. You must be connected to the Internet to obtain a license.
- The Authorization Code is the longer (20 digit) number you obtained from the same page as the program file on
the ITC Software Licensing Website.
- Enter the 20-digit code, and click Next>. If this step fails, please check to make sure that you do not have a space before the code, or any other hidden characters at the end of the code.
- If you are successful in obtaining a license, a page will tell you so. Click Finish.