ITS Service Changes
How Ongoing/Upcoming Upgrades May Affect You
Below is more detail about ongoing and upcoming changes to ITS services that are likely to impact you:
- SPSS 24 Home Use Version Now Downloadable from UVA Software
- Internet-Connected Printer Vulnerabilities
- ITS eduroam WiFi Roll Out
- ITS Service Portal: Name Change, New Address
- UVA Box: New Terms of Service & New Web Interface
- Legacy UVA Cable TV Retirement
- Scan&Score System Retirement
- Qualtrics Downtime Required for Portal Consolidation
- Analog Web Analysis Service Retirement
- Intel AMT Port Blocking
- ITS to Debut Value Storage
- Changes to Public LDAP Access
- Internet-Connected Printer Vulnerabilities
SPSS 24 Home Use Version Now Downloadable from UVA Software
License Limit Lifted for UVA Faculty and Students
- Purpose: Effective August 17, 2017, Information Technology Services (ITS) released SPSS 24 to Faculty and Students for Home Use site-wide. Previously, our license limited us to a total of 240 users of Home Use and you had to request access through Research Software Support.
- Impact: SPSS 24 for Home Use is a simple download from the
UVA Software Gateway. The process is all self-service and the
software is free to end users.
- Home Use allows IBM SPSS to be used by more students and allows faculty to have a copy on their personally owned computer, if needed.
- Remember that this software is still only to be used for Teaching and Academic Research (not for profit research where the results will be made public) by current students and faculty.
Please email email@example.com (ITS Departmental Computing Support - licensing, business model, etc.) or firstname.lastname@example.org (UVA Library Research Software Support - software installation, activation, support) with any questions you may have.
Be Aware: Internet-Connected Printer Vulnerabilities
Off-Grounds Users Will Need to be on VPN to Print
- Purpose: UVA Information Security has become aware of multiple incidents of unwanted documents being sent to publicly accessible network (i.e., open to the Internet) printers on Grounds. Earlier this year, threats were received via local UVA printers. Although only threats, these messages had to be taken seriously, which took the valuable time and resources of our law enforcement partners. In addition, many other universities have seen propaganda and hate speech messages sent to their open printers. To help protect the University from these types of activities, ITS will begin blocking remote printing ports at the network border on August 21, 2017.
- Impact: Anyone who prints to on-Grounds printers and is not on the UVA network will first need to connect to one of the UVA VPNs.
If you have any questions, please contact UVA Information Security.
ITS eduroam WiFi Roll Out (July 17-21, 2017)
New WiFi Network Made Available for Visitors from Participating Institutions
- Purpose: ITS will be rolling out eduroam WiFi to all academic and residential wireless access points during the week of July 17th to 21st. eduroam will allow visitors from participating institutions to obtain guest WiFi access at UVA using their home institution credentials, e.g. certificate or username/password. For more information, please see the ITS eduroam page.
- Impact: While UVA users have been able to use eduroam at other institutions since last year, the ITS eduroam rollout will now provide WiFi availability to UVA guests visiting from any of the many participating institutions.
ITS Service Portal: Name Change, New Address (June 24, 2017)
Functionality Remains the Same
- Purpose: ITS's Service Portal, the web-based tool that provides our customers with an easy way to request accounts, storage, and security and records management services, track orders for phones and other equipment, and much more, will be renamed on Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 8AM to https://virginia.service-now.com. Functionality remains the same. There will be an approximately 6-hour downtime associated with the name change and other updates.
- Impact: The name of our site will change from
uvaprod.service-now.com to virginia.service-now.com.
A 7-day redirect will be provided; after June 30, you must use the new address of
- ITSWeb pages will be updated to reflect the new address. If you encounter links to the Service Portal with the old address, please contact ITS.
- If you have bookmarks set to the old address, please delete them and re-bookmark your favorites.
- The Service Portal email address will change to email@example.com, and replies to the old address will not be received or processed after June 30. This includes responses to approval requests.
- Replies to approval requests and reminders generated after the address change should work as expected.
- Processing of existing records should not be affected by the change, nor should records history.
LSPs and users of the Service Request Catalog will receive an email from ITS outlining these changes.
UVA Box: New Terms of Service (June 6, 2017) & New Web Interface (June 29, 2017)
TOS Acceptance & Upgrade Required for Box Users
- Purpose: An update to the UVA Box login page on Tuesday, June 6 has triggered a new "terms of service" acceptance notice that appears when logging in to the UVA Box web user interface. Additionally, ITS will be upgrading UVA Box on Thursday, June 29, to an updated web user interface with increased functionality and a cleaner, more modern layout.
- All UVA Box users will need to review and accept the terms of service to resume use of this service. If you are a user of Box apps such as Box Sync, Box for Office, or Box mobile apps, please review and accept the terms of service in order to continue use of these applications and restore connectivity to UVA Box content. Click the "Accept" button to proceed to use UVA Box as usual.
- All UVA Box users will get a notification (see below) after login, offering
them a chance to try out the upgraded Box web interface. They can dismiss the
notification, but it will reappear every 3 days until the final upgrade on June 29.
All users will be automatically upgraded on June 29.
Legacy UVA Cable TV Retirement (June 30, 2017)
IPTV, Other Options Available
- Purpose: On June 30, 2017, ITS is retiring the legacy, standard definition UVA Cable TV service previously available for fee in certain UVA buildings (including Lawn Pavilions).
- Impact: No new activations are being accepted. Current customers have available several replacement services (IPTV, commercial online services like DirectTV and Sling TV, among others) and may request a demo of these services. Until June 30, 2017, ITS support for the legacy service is available via the UVA Help Desk.
Scan&Score System Retirement (May 31, 2017)
Printing & Copying Services Provides New Solution
- Purpose: On May 31, 2017, ITS will retire the web-based test scoring system known as Scan&Score. Several years ago, in looking at aging machines, unavailability of replacement parts, and costly maintenance fees, Information Security approached the Provost's Office about finding an alternative.
- Impact: With the support of the Provost's Office, Printing & Copying Services (PCS) found and tested a new product and implementation by PCS is scheduled for June 1.
Qualtrics Downtime (May 24-26, 2017)
Required to Consolidate Portal
- Purpose: Qualtrics will be intermittently unavailable starting on May 24, 2017 at 8am and ending on May 26, 2017 at 9pm.
- Impact: Surveys in the Qualtrics Moderately Sensitive Data (MSD) Portal
(virginia.qualtrics.com), Curry School of Education (virginiaeducation), Center for Survey Research
(surveysvirginia), Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy (uvafrankbatten),
Department of Politics (politicsvirginia), and Department of Psychology (uvapsych) will
continue to run, but users will not be able to report on, edit, or create new surveys. This
downtime is necessary to consolidate the user accounts into the Qualtrics Moderately Sensitive Data
(MSD) Portal (virginia.qualtrics.com).
Once the virginia.qualtrics.com portal is brought back up, all uvapysch, uvafrankbatten, politicsvirginia, virginiaeducation, and surveysvirginia portals will point to the virginia.qualtrics.com portal. Users will log in with NetBadge credentials and then link their NetBadge identity with their current account. Existing virginia.qualtrics.com users will be able to access their accounts.
The Qualtrics Highly Sensitive Data Portal (virginiahsd) and McIntire School of Commerce's Qualtrics Portal (commercevirginia) will not be affected by this downtime.
ITS to Retire Analog Web Analysis Service (May 16, 2017)
Better, Newer Options for Web Analytics Available
- Purpose: On May 16, 2017, ITS will retire an old analog web analysis service and its associated log accumulation. This service is outdated and has limited use; it runs on very old machines and software incompatibility has now made this service unmaintainable.
- Impact: Owners of sites or site directories configured for this service will be contacted individually. A plethora of different web analytics tools exist, many of which are free, and information is widely available on the Internet.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact the UVA Help Desk.
Intel AMT Port Blocking (May 9, 2017)
Network Configuration Update Removes Security Vulnerability
- Purpose: On May 9, UVA will update its network configuration to
block access to a security vulnerability in the Intel AMT management service. After May 9, it
will not be possible to use the Intel AMT management service to manage servers or workstations from off-Grounds.
This security vulnerability allows a remote attacker to take complete control over an affected computer. After May 9, the reconfiguration will block this attack from off-Grounds.
- Impact: This change should have no effect on the vast majority of computing devices at the University. It only affects users who have purchased the optional AMT SKU with new devices and are using the Intel AMT management service to control them from off-Grounds. This may also include devices that have had hardware repairs. If you have a need to manage devices from off-Grounds using the Intel AMT management service, please use the VPN. If you believe that you might have an affected device, please see the guidance from Intel on discovering and patching affected devices (https://newsroom.intel.com/news/important-security-information-intel-manageability-firmware/).
Contact Information Security via email if you have questions.
ITS to Debut Value Storage (May 4, 2017)
Inexpensive Storage for Expert Users
- Purpose: On Thursday, May 4, ITS will debut the new "Value" category of storage. Geared to expert users, "value" is inexpensive storage for those who manage and back up their storage without assistance/support from ITS.
- Impact: For more specific information, see the new Value storage page; all other storage options are listed on the Storage homepage.
Changes to Public LDAP Access (Feb. 1, 2017)
Protects Student Privacy
- Purpose: In the interest of continuing to protect student privacy, the University will be limiting access to the Public LDAP effective Wednesday, February 1, 2017. At this time, direct access to the Public LDAP will be limited so it can only be accessed from known UVA IP-Space (excluding guest IPs) and the IP space of known valid users.
- Impact: For users physically located at UVA or for applications that run from UVA servers, there should be no impact. Off-Grounds users not connected to the UVA network will have to use VPN (Virtual Private Network) to access Public LDAP.