Local Support Partners (LSP) Newsletter
LSP Events, Reminders, & Collective Recap
- October is Cyber Security Awareness Month! Go check out the Information Security Cybersecurity Events.
- 10-10: LSP Program Members Luncheon Meeting (Sponsored by your LSP Steering Committee): Curry-Bavaro 116 Holloway, 12 PM- 1 PM
- 10-12: Amazon Web Services Immersion Day: Newcomb Hall Theater, 10 AM - 12 PM
- 10-16: NetReg Tool LSP Meeting: Newcomb Commonwealth Room, 11 AM- 12 PM
- 10-19: October LSP Collective (ARCS Appreciation Lunch): 12- 1:30 PM, Rotunda West Oval Room
- 10-24: ISPRO Conference: Visit the 2017 ISPRO Conference website to register, nominate colleagues for ISPRO awards, and see the full event schedule.
- 11-16: LSP Conference: Newcomb Hall
- November TBD: CrashPlan Day: Look for future communications to confirm event date (tentatively scheduled for November 7).
- December TBD: LSP Pro Courses: Look for future communications to find course dates for December 2017.
Reminders & Notices from September LSP Collective
- QuestionPro Retirement Date: 1 October
- If you have any users affected, please email ITS-QuestionPro@virginia.edu for guidance/advice.
- LSP Information Management Tool (ITS Service Portal – IT Support Contacts application)
- Update your information in the "LSP Directory" module.
- Check your departmental IT Help contact information in the "IT Support by Department" module.
- Instructions for updating your information are in the LSP Information Management Training knowledge article.
- LSP On/Off Boarding & Change Request
- To on-board, off-board, and/or change existing LSP information:
- Go to the ITS Service Portal - Service Catalog - Professional Services - LSP On-Boarding & Off-Boarding Tool
- To on-board, off-board, and/or change existing LSP information:
- Stay up to date on everything LSP with these IT Affinity Groups of Interest:
- LSP-TAG (Training Action Group): Managed by the LSP Steering Committee; to inquire, email LSP Coordinator.
- LSP-offtopic: Email list for general correspondence between LSPs.
- AWS-SIG (Amazon Web Services Special Interest Group): All things AWS for UVA.
- LSP Conference Planning Committee: Managed by the LSP Steering Committee; to inquire, email LSP Coordinator.
- LSP Deployment & Management Group: Collab site for all things deployment.
- Information Security Discussion list: Email list for Information Security, LSPs, and others to discuss information security threats, controls, etc.
- uWeb (University Web Professionals): http://uweb.virginia.edu/
- Green-IT (Part of FM's Sustainability at UVA): A relatively new group looking to curb UVA's IT waste.
ITS Project Updates
- Office 365 Updates
- Workstream 1 (Outlook email/calendar and Skype for Business) of the Office 365 project is moving along as scheduled. Upgrades are underway in academic areas and will continue through the month of October, finishing up in early November. For a detailed schedule, please visit the Office 365 project website.
- Information Technology Services is pilot testing components for Workstream 2 (OneDrive and Office Online) in anticipation of an early 2018 release to the rest of the University community.
- Sympa Update Scheduled for October 12
- Sympa, UVA’s mailing list service, will be upgraded on Thursday, October 12, between the hours of 4:00 and 9:00 PM. The Sympa web interface will be unavailable during this time, but email will continue to flow. If users have an urgent need to perform an administrative function in Sympa during the downtime, please call the UVA Help Desk at 434-924-4357.
- Engineers will be upgrading the infrastructure and the software which will provide users with a new, easier-to-use interface. After the upgrade is complete, work will resume to clean up lists including those that are no longer in use.
- If you have questions, please contact the project manager.
SecureUVA Project Updates
The following projects are underway. Please stay up-to-date with project overview, impact, and schedules through https://secureuva.virginia.edu.
- 2-Step Login Mandatory for Faculty & Staff:
- By October 31, 2017, 2-Step Login will be mandatory for all UVA Faculty & Staff accessing NetBadge-protected resources. This is a University-wide requirement that will provide significant protection for personal and University information. If users would like to opt-in/register before your department’s mandatory date (individually or bulk), start at https://www.secureuva.virginia.edu/2steplogin/opt-in.html.
- Academic Protected Network (APN) Project:
- To protect devices plugged into a wired network in UVA Academic Buildings, the APN Project is creating the Academic Protected Network (APN), as the new default network for academic buildings.
- If you have not yet signed up for an APN Kick-Off Meeting, make sure to do so and attend one before your cutover date at in.virginia.edu/apnprojectsurvey :
- Wednesday, October 4, 3:30- 4:30, at Ruffner Hall LDC Room 302
- Monday, October 9, 9:30 - 10:30, at Newcomb Hall Commonwealth Room
- Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) Project:
- IPS will provide detection ("Learning" Mode — default) and protection ("Active Blocking" Mode) for application-level network threats to UVA network hosts. In conjunction with the APN project schedule, “Active Blocking” Mode will be turned on for the APN starting October 2, followed by pilots for other networks. To see the full schedule: https://www.secureuva.virginia.edu/ips/home.html.
- Information Security Risk Management (IS-RM) Survey Project:
- Paperless and annual information security risk assessment survey to evaluate the effectiveness of IT security controls within their environments. The survey will be sent out and ready to be worked on mid-October, but will not be due until March 1, 2018.
- IT Security Policy & Procedures Update Project:
- To consolidate and simplify requirements, updated versions of UVA Information Security policies, procedures, and standards will be revealed at the end of October. At which point, there will be a compliance period until March 1, 2018. With the understanding that there will be a temporary need for flexibility when adhering to the updated policies, there will be a temporary exception request in the Service Portal.
- User Awareness & Education Project:
- Completing the Responsible Computing Tutorial for UVA Faculty & Staff is a requirement for all full-time and part-time employees, student employees, and contractors. Employees who have not completed this specific tutorial are receiving communication to do so by October 20, 2017.
Information Technology Advisory Committee (ITAC)
The Information Technology Advisory Committee (ITAC), along with its permanent and temporary subcommittees, provides guidance, advice, and assistance to the CIO and the CIO leadership team on matters affecting information technology operations and strategy.
Contribute to the LSP Newsletter
Do you have an announcement, comment, congratulations, upcoming project, or anything else you'd like to share in the next LSP newsletter? Email your submission to Ted Gayle at LSPfirstname.lastname@example.org to be included in the next newsletter.