Mobile Devices at UVa
Configure a Windows Mobile Device for UVa
After you connect your Windows Mobile phone or device to the unencrypted wahoo wireless network, you may also wish to:
- configure your Windows Mobile device for a UVa Exchange account or
- configure for another type of UVa email account.
Connect Your Windows Mobile Device to UVa’s Unencrypted wahoo Wireless Network
ITS recommends you apply all hardware and software updates and patches to your Windows Mobile device before you begin the connection process.
- Find your device’s MAC address, so you can register it on the UVa network. The MAC (Media Access Control) address, also known as a “network card
address” or “physical address,” uniquely identifies your device to the UVa network.
Note that the Network Card Address/Physical Address/MAC Address is an alphanumeric value, which is listed in six groups of two hexadecimal digits, separated by hyphens (-) or colons (:), e.g. 01-2B-C5-67-89-ab or 01:2B:C5:67:89:ab. To find the MAC address of your Windows Mobile device:
- Click Start, then Settings, then Connections, then Wireless LAN, then Advanced.
- Click MAC, and make a note of the address of the wireless card in your device.
If the above does not work for you, please use an Internet search to find instructions on locating the MAC address for your model of Windows device, as in: locate Treo750 mac address.
- Register your device’s wireless card for use on the UVa network. On your computer, go to the UVa Network Registration website. Then:
- Click the Already Registered link.
- Under Faculty, Staff, and Students, click the Enter button. If needed, log into NetBadge.
- Click the Register a device for network access link.
- In the Physical/Hardware Address field, type the Network Card Address/Physical Address/MAC Address from your Windows Mobile device’s wireless card, which you just looked up.
- From the This is a wireless device dropdown menu, select Yes.
- From the Contact Group dropdown menu, select No Group.
- Leave the Asset Tag (optional) field blank.
- Leave the Serial Number (optional) field blank.
- To differentiate this device from your other registered devices, in the Identifying Notes (e.g., Make/Model, Location) field, type some identifying information such as your UVa computing ID (example: mst3k) and the type of Windows Mobile device you have (PocketPC, Treo, etc.).
- Click the Submit Registration button. It may take 5-10 minutes for the registration to take place.
- Configure your Windows Mobile device to access the wahoo wireless network. To do this:
- In an area where UVa’s unencrypted wahoo network is available, click Start on your Windows Mobile device.
- Click Settings, then Connections, then Wi-Fi.
- In the Configure Wireless Networks field, type wahoo.
- In Configure Network Authentication:
- For Authentication, select Open.
- For Data Encryption, select Disabled.
- Click Finish.
- Test your configuration. Make sure you are in an area where UVa’s unencrypted wahoo network is available (you will see the secure network, cavalier, listed anytime you are in range of wahoo, even
though wahoo may not display), and then attempt to connect.
- After you have configured your device to use UVa’s unencrypted wahoo wireless network (where it is available), your Windows Mobile device will autodetect the network from then on.
- Should your device fail to autodetect the network when you are within range, you will need to manually select the UVa unencrypted wahoo wireless network.
Optionally, you may also wish to configure your Windows Mobile device for a UVa Exchange account or another type of UVa email account.