Configure a Windows Mobile Device for UVa’s Exchange Service
Before you start, you may want to connect your Windows mobile device to UVa’s unencrypted wahoo wireless network.
Connect Your Windows Mobile Phone or Device to Your UVa Exchange Account
Step 1: Prepare to Connect
- Before you begin, make sure you have updated your device with all availabile operating system updates and patches from your vendor. You will be unable to connect to Exchange properly if you have not done this! Download any available updates for your device at the Windows Mobile Phone website.
- Ensure you have a UVa Exchange account on the UVa Exchange Service. The UVa Centralized Exchange Service has already enabled ActiveSync for you by default.
Step 2: Connect Your Windows Mobile Smartphone or Device to Exchange
- From the Home Screen, tap Start, then ActiveSync.
- Tap the Menu, then select Configure Server.
- In the Server field, type mail.eservices.virginia.edu
- Check the box beside This server requires an encrypted (SSL) connection.
- If checked, uncheck the box beside Try to get e-mail setting automatically from the Internet.
- In the Username field, type your UVa computing ID in the form:
id (if there is a separate box for Domain name) or eservices\id (if there is no separate box for Domain name). For example: either mst3k or eservices\mst3k
- In the Password field, type your password.
- Note: The password for your Exchange account is the same as your Eservices password. If you do not know this password, (re)set it now.
- If there is a box for Domain name, type: eservices.virginia.edu
- To verify any of the synchronization options, click Advanced.
- You will now receive your UVa Exchange email and calendar-related messages on your device. IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure always to process your Exchange meeting-related messages on your computer and not your Windows Mobile device, however!
- Accepting and declining meetings from your smartphone may create calendar synchronization problems for you. ITS recommends you always process meeting requests from Outlook or using Outlook Web Access instead.
- See more Exchange-related best practices for mobile devices.
Optionally, you may also want to connect your Windows mobile device to UVa’s unencrypted wahoo wireless network.