Mobile Devices at UVA
Configure a Mobile Device for UVA Wireless
How to Connect Your Mobile Device to UVA’s wahoo WiFi Network
We don’t provide step-by-step instructions for every type of wireless device, nor do we support all smartphones, tablets, e-readers, smart TVs, etc. beyond the instructions provided on this website.
But you can probably connect to UVA’s unencrypted wireless network wahoo by manually setting up a WiFi connection on your phone, tablet, e-reader, or mobile device.
To Connect Your Mobile Device to wahoo
You can complete all steps directly on your mobile device, or you can do your
mobile device’s network registration from a computer:
How to Connect a Device with No Web Interface
Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire
ITS does not support these devices and provides these instructions only as a courtesy. These instructions do not apply to wireless printers, which are not supported in student housing and will not work.
In order to register your device successfully, you must utilize a separate computer or mobile device with Internet access.
- Find the MAC address of the device you are trying to connect. Google directions for your specific device or see its.virginia.edu/network/address.html.
- Open a supported Web browser and go to the Network Registration Website.
- Select "Faculty, Staff, and Students," enter your NetBadge credentials, select "Register a device for network access," fill out the form and hit "Submit Registration."
- Make sure to wait 5 minutes before connecting.
Troubleshooting wahoo Connection Problems
- Is WiFi currently turned on? Check, and enable if necessary, in your Settings.
- Is your device registered at UVA? Before connecting, all devices must first be registered:
- Register directly from your mobile device
- Register your mobile using your computer (opens in a new window) After registering, you may need to wait 5-10 minutes for the registration to complete, and/or reboot your device, and/or toggle Wi-Fi off, then on again, before it will successfully connect.
- Is your mobile connecting to Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless? You can do very little on the WiFi network called Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless besides register your device. After first-time setup, your device is still attempting to connect to this network, tell it to “forget” Welcome_to_UVa_Wireless and select wahoo WiFi instead.
- If you are within range of wahoo, is your mobile device failing to detect it? After successfully connecting, your mobile should autodetect wahoo anytime it is available (cavalier will be listed anytime you’re in range of wahoo, though wahoo may not display). If wahoo does not appear among the list of available WiFi networks, it may be because the unencrypted wahoo wireless network SSID is not broadcast like cavalier. Some mobile devices are known to have difficulty connecting to non-broadcast wireless networks. Check with your manufacturer or wireless service provider.