Mobile Devices at UVA
Configure a Mobile Device for a UVA Email Account
Before you start, you may want to connect your mobile device to the UVA wireless network.
Connect Your Mobile Device to Your UVA Email Account
ITS does not provide step-by-step instructions for every possible combination of UVA email account and mobile device. However, you can probably still successfully set up your UVA email account on your device or smartphone:
- If applicable, first enable your email to be received on your mobile device.
- For UVA Gmail: Before you can read your UVA Gmail on your smartphone or mobile device, you must:
- For Office 365 Outlook: Ensure you have an ITS-provided Office 365 Outlook account. Download the Microsoft Outlook app for iPhone or Android from the Google Play/Apple Store.
- Then, open your smartphone or mobile device’s Mail application and go to the email configuration screen. (If you do not know how to find this, you may need to search on the Internet for instructions specific to your device’s make and model.)
- Plug in the appropriate email settings for your desired UVA email account(s):
- UVA Gmail account settings, or
- UVA Office 365 settings; Microsoft provides comprehensive instructions for configuring mobile devices using their apps. The instructions are located at this link: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Set-up-Office-apps-and-email-on-a-mobile-device-7dabb6cb-0046-40b6-81fe-767e0b1f014f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US. ActiveSync will continue to work, but the recommended and supported method of accessing mail is to use the Outlook app.