ITS-Supported Classrooms & Software
ITS Electronic Classroom Procedures
Following are the policies and procedures governing the use of ITS-supported technology classrooms. If you have questions or concerns regarding these policies, please contact the ITS Classrooms group.
The classroom policy, as defined in June 1995, by the Executive Vice President and Chief Operational Officer Leonard W. Sandridge and Vice President and Provost Peter Low states that all scheduling of academic space at the University will be done by a central scheduling office, and that the office will be the Office of the University Registrar. This insures that all usage is recorded on the central data system for reporting purposes and that customers have a single contact for making room reservations.
The Associate Provost for Academic Support has the ultimate responsibility for coordinating, monitoring, refining, and implementing classroom policy. Also mandated is the need for increasing classroom utilization rates throughout the University during the hours from 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM Monday through Thursday and 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM on Friday.
Providing technological equipment in classrooms at the University requires additional steps for reserving such rooms. This procedure applies to all technology enhanced classrooms that are supported by ITS.
For information about particular classrooms, please see our classroom list.
- All requests to reserve electronic classrooms are requested using The SOURCE. For more information you may contact the Facilities Coordinator in the Office of the University Registrar (982-2303 or 243-8821 | firstname.lastname@example.org). Academic courses receive priority in all scheduling situations and will be scheduled prior to confirming other requests for reservations.
- Academic Use is defined as activities essential to the teaching and
research missions of the institution. Requests may come from course instructors, departments or deans.
Hours available for scheduling and support for Academic Use:
Day of the Week Normal Hours
Expert Technical Support
Prior Arrangement Hours1
Staff Assistant Support2
Monday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM Tuesday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM Wednesday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM Thursday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM Saturday exceptional cases only exceptional cases only Sunday No Support 2:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Academic Events Only
1 - For Academic and Non-Academic Use, the rooms are available on a prior arrangement basis during the hours shown.
2 - Staff assistants who serve in the evening and weekends will allow access to scheduled electronic classrooms, deliver and set up equipment and provide minimal technical support, as time permits.
- Academic use requests for rooms during prior arrangement hours will be scheduled subject to availability of staff with priority given to requests made at least one week in advance of need. The Office of the University Registrar will coordinate and confirm these arrangements with the Classroom Technical Coordinator.
- "No Shows": If your event is cancelled or changed, please contact the Registrar's Office to cancel your reservation. If you fail to arrive as scheduled, the room will be locked by the support technician after 1 hour or after 1/4 of the reserved time, whichever is longer. Continuous "No-Shows" will result in the cancellation of the classroom reservation.
- Non-academic use is defined as any activity not essential to the teaching and research missions of the institution. Users in this category (e.g., Contracted Independent Organizations (CIO"s), conferences, et. al.) can reserve rooms subject to availability of support.
- There are no fees for non-academic use of the rooms.
Hardware and Software Support
- Special hardware requests can be considered if they are received at least one week in advance of event. If no advanced requests are provided, ITS's support personnel will, if available, provide the equipment requested.
- Requests to load discipline-specific software should be submitted by using the
Form. The software must be supplied by the user with proof of licensure. The software
should be provided to the ITS software group in a time frame that allows for adequate loading
Deadlines for submission of software requests are:
Semester Deadline Fall July 1 Spring November 1 Summer April 1
Only an ITS certified technician is allowed to alter electronic classroom software configurations. Additional information about the rooms is available from the list of classroom facilities.
- ITS requests and encourages all instructors and or TAs scheduled to use a classroom supported by ITS to contact the appropriate support technician at least one week prior to their first scheduled use of the electronic classroom. Contact numbers can be found on the classroom list.
- As directed by the Provost's Office, ITS Classrooms are locked when not scheduled for use. Building Services staff are not allowed to open classrooms for non-scheduled use of the room. If you find a scheduled classroom locked, please call FIXIT (3-4948) for assistance.
- The University reserves the right to assess charges for damage or changes to equipment, furnishings, or rooms.