The Integrated System
General Use: Frequently Asked Questions
For the best experience with UVA Enterprise Applications and the Integrated System, use one of the supported operating systems & browsers.
- What are the Enterprise Application Systems?
- When will access be granted?
- How do I login once access is granted?
- Why is the employee's name grayed out in ESHARP?
- Why did the system just lock me out?
- Why did I get a message saying my log on session is no longer valid?
- Why do I get "kicked out" of the system, even while I am working in it?
- Confidential Information
- Documents/Lists of Values
- Medical Center
- PTAO Card
- Session Time-Out or "Kick Out"
- "Cancel Query"
- Opening More than One Window
What are the Enterprise Application Systems?
- HR/Finance Integrated System: The combined human resources and financial administrative applications. For a list of system modules in HR/Finance, see the HR/Finance Integrated System toolkits.
- Student Information System (SIS): The application that manages all aspects of student data. For a list of system modules in SIS, see the Student Information System (SIS) toolkits.
- Document Imaging System (ImageNow): An electronic document storage system for UVA organizations. Also links documents to data in HR/Finance Integrated System and Student Information System (SIS). See Document Imaging System toolkit for details.
- Discoverer/ODS (Operational Data Store): Tool for accessing pre-defined reports or for creating reports and exportable spreadsheets with HR/Finance data (no GA, GL, or LD reports).
- Discoverer/SIS Reporting: Tool for accessing pre-defined reports or for creating reports and exportable spreadsheets with Student Information System (SIS) data.
These systems contain sensitive data, so for protection, users must:
- request and be approved to access only the data needed for their jobs
- complete training as appropriate
- connect securely to the data systems using their NetBadge credentials and/or the JointVPN Service and a UVA Identity Token
For complete details, review the Administrative Data Access Policy.
When will access be granted?
Access will be granted when:
- Requests have been approved by all necessary parties in ESHARP.
- Want to know the status of the request? See Step 2 of the Steps to Enterprise Application Systems Access for instructions and whom to contact for assistance.
- Employee has completed training, if required.
- Employee needs to email the trainers when a learning path is completed.
- Employee has picked up a UVA Identity Token, if requested, and signed the acknowledgement form. See Step 5 of the Steps to Enterprise Application Systems Access for details.
- UVA VPN software has been installed on the employee's computer. See Step 5 of the Steps to Enterprise Application Systems Access for details.
NOTE: When all the steps above are finished, it takes one to two business days for the token profile to be updated with the responsibility(s).
How do I login once access is granted?
- Plugs in the UVA Identity Token to the USB port on the computer.
- Connects to JointVPN Service.
- Clicks the appropriate system login button on the Integrated System home page.
- Enters appropriate credentials (e.g., NetBadge credentials).
Why is the employee's name grayed out in ESHARP?
Before a first-time request for an employee can be submitted, the employee must log into ESHARP to
electronically sign the Electronic Access Agreement(EAA) and/or FERPA forms
(if not already signed). If an employee's name is grayed out, it means he/she
has not signed one or both of the forms.
NOTE: At this time, only EAA is required for HR/Finance requests, which can be found under HR/Finance in ESHARP. SIS and Document Imaging require both EAA and FERPA forms, which can both be found under SIS and Document Imaging in ESHARP.
Why did Discoverer just lock me out?
Discoverer will not lock you out unless your system password has expired. It will shutdown, however, after three failed attempts to log on. You will have to reopen Discoverer and try again.
Why did I get a message saying my log on session is no
Your Integrated System session will time-out if you have a form open for 90 minutes with no activity. You will receive an error message saying, "Your log on session is no longer valid. Would you like to log back on?" Respond YES, and it will bring up the log-on screen. Log on and continue.
Why do I get “kicked out” of the system, even while I am
working in it?
While ITS-Enterprise Applications is exploring this issue further, there are two things to try if you frequently are kicked out of the system and it is not a “timed-out” situation (no key strokes for 90 minutes).
1. Be sure you are on the latest version of VPN.
2. Check to be sure your spyware is not creating the problem.
Are Social Security numbers visible within the system?
Social Security numbers and other confidential information will be hidden in the Operational Data Store. However, individuals with the PO Purchaser, PO Requester, all but one Labor Distribution responsibilities, several HR/Payroll responsibilities, and central office users will see social security numbers. All users who have access to this information will be required to sign the UVA Electronic Access Agreement form prior to receiving access. Misuse of confidential information can be grounds for termination.
What data is not available in the Data Store?
The following data elements are considered to be restricted. This means that these elements are not available in the Operational Data Store (ODS). They are, however, available in certain areas of the Integrated System applications and users with appropriate Integrated System responsibilities will be able to access them for business reasons. Use of these and all other data elements will be governed by the Electronic Access Agreement that all Integrated System users will sign annually.
- Bank account numbers: the vendor or employee checking/savings bank account number to which payments are deposited
- Social Security Number: student, employee, vendor, or customer SS# or TIN
- Home address
- Home phone
Where can I find documents on the web?
ITS-Enterprise Applications has placed selected, regularly updated, documents on its website for review by the University community. They may be viewed by going to the Finance Links and HR/Payroll Links websites.
When do I not have to use PTAEOs?
Under the following circumstances the PTAEO does not need to be used:
- When you are paying for services rendered by a Medical Center department. This transaction is to be processed on the MC Accounting System, which is PeopleSoft. It is not done on the University Integrated System. This would be the equivalent of a ledger 2 to ledger 2 transaction under the old system. It is a transaction between two Medical Center departments. The attached MC Journal Voucher should be filled out, approved, and sent to Accounting with supporting documentation attached.
- To pay outside vendor please contact Medical Center Purchasing.
What is a PTAEO?
The PTAEO is the account structure to which you charge expenses. It is a five-segment account that allows you to do enhanced reporting.
P = Project
A major activity such as a grant, a departmental instructional program or a student services activity. Individual units are responsible for deciding what they want their projects to be.
T = Task
A further breakdown of the project. Could be a building, a sub-activity such as writing a report, or a division within the project. All projects have at least one default task (101) for each project. Users can add additional tasks on a project. Tasks are limited to ten characters and can be alpha-numeric.
A = Award
A source of funds that supports one or more projects. For example, a grant, a state award or an endowment award.
E = Expenditure Type
An expenditure type is a classification of cost that you assign to each expenditure item you enter. For example, Supplies, Office; Svcs, Catering; Salary, Class Staff FT.
O = Organization
All units at UVA will have an organization code that is used by all of the Oracle applications. Projects are owned by an Org, Awards are owned by an Org, and all transactions are tagged with an Org.
Can you provide me with an example of how to fill out the PTAEO
Project = 101472
Task = 101
Award = SG00025
Expenditure Type = Supplies, Office
Organization = 20055
How do I get an expenditure type?
Expenditure Types are housed in the Grants Accounting module. They represent the E values in the PTAEO. These values should be used whenever making purchases, scheduling labor, or doing cost transfers.
When can I create and use a PTAO card?
The PTAO Card Generator can be accessed through NetBadge by selecting the PTAO Card Generator icon on the Integrated System's homepage.
Training information for accessing the card generator and validating a PTAO is available from UVA Human Resources.
What are Mailing Services requirements for printing and copying the PTAO card?
For the barcode to be read by Mailing Services machines, the PTAEO card must be printed on a laser printer. White, light yellow and light green paper all work. Photocopies work best if they are copied from the original. Second generation copies should work, but third generation do not. Faxing copies of the PTAO card sometimes, but does not consistently, produce a readable barcode.
What is the "Cancel Query" pop-up box telling me?
If it takes longer than 10 seconds to retrieve data, you will see a pop-up box that is titled “cancel query” that states “press to cancel to end this database operation.” Pressing cancel or clicking the “x” to close the box will end the query. Therefore, you should only select cancel or click “x” if the action is no longer needed.
Opening More than One Window
Can I open two windows/responsibilities simultaneously?
You can log on twice to have two windows open simultaneously.