Identity Management at UVa
In-Person ID Verification & Security Questions
ID Verification Locations: Where to Go
Take your proof of identity document(s) with you to one of the following locations on UVa Grounds.
|Who You Are||Who to Contact||Notes & Details|
|Current UVa Employees & Students||ISPRO Access Management
8:30 AM–4:00 PM, Mon.–Fri.
|For assistance with lost PassPhrases, PassPhrase requests, and account problems|
|New UVa Employees in the Academic Division||University ID Card Office
8:00 AM–5:00PM, Mon.–Fri.
|To get a new University ID card & PassPhrase|
|New UVa Undergraduates & Most Graduate Students||University ID Card Office
8:00 AM–5:00PM, Mon.–Fri.
|To get a new University ID card & PassPhrase (new undergrads do this at Summer Orientation)|
|Medical Center Employees, School of Medicine, & School of Nursing Students||Claude Moore Health Sciences Library circulation desk, 9:00 AM–12:00 PM, Tues. or Thurs.|
|Darden School of Business Students & Employees||Darden Computing Service Desk
|Commerce School Students & Employees||McIntire School
|Nursing School Students & Employees||Nursing School Help Desk
|Facilities Management Employees||Facilities Management Help Desk
What’s Next? The UVa ID Verification Process Explained
- Once you show your document(s) for proof of identity, you will receive your PassPhrase.
Your PassPhrase is a unique combo of letters & numbers on a white slip of paper with some instructions attached.
- Visit the URL listed on the instructions included with your PassPhrase. For your security, do not
do this on a public computer, nor a public, free Wi-Fi network.
- Log into this website via NetBadge.
- Provide your 9-digit University ID number (listed on your University ID card) and PassPhrase
- Ready? Go to whois.virginia.edu/idm now to complete this step.
- Follow prompts to set your 4 personal security questions and answers.
- Think carefully as you select these. Pick questions for which you easily know the answer, but others do not.
- Note that the answers to your security questions must be longer than 4 characters.
- Establish your Permanent UVa password. You will have the opportunity to:
- Create your own password (although it must be very strong), or
- Re-enter the password you already know to set it as Permanent, or
- Accept a password that is automatically generated for you.
Congratulations, you’re done! Your UVa passwords are now all synchronized, and you can now access websites protected by Enhanced NetBadge—including the ability to easily reset and sync your UVa passwords via the Manage Your Passwords & Personal Security Questions tool—if ever needed in the future!
Do not destroy your PassPhrase until you are sure you will remember your Permanent password.