Identity Management at UVa
In-Person ID Verification & Security Questions
First—Acceptable Documents: What to Take to Your ID Verification
Proof of Identity Required: Bring your UVa ID card (if you have one), and one of the following required items:
- a U.S. Driver’s License or
- a U.S. Military ID Card or
- a U.S. Green Card (U.S. Homeland Security Permanent Resident card) or
- Any government-issued passport book.
Next—Locations: Where to Go for ID Verification & PassPhrases
Take your documents for proof of identity to the appropriate location:
|Your Status||ID Verification Location|
For UVa Health System Students & Employees
Health System ID Badge Office
|School of Medicine||Health Sciences Library circulation desk
1350 Jefferson Park Avenue
9AM–12PM, Tues. or Thurs.
|School of Nursing||Nursing School Help Desk
McLeod Hall, Room 3014
For UVa Academic Students & Employees without Specific Affiliations
University ID Card Office
(new students complete this during Summer Orientation)
ISPRO Access Management
For UVa Students & Employees with Specific Affiliations
If you’re an employee or student in one of these schools or departments that do their own ID verification, go instead to:
|School of Law||Law Computing Help Desk
Withers-Brown Hall, Room 399
|Darden School of Business||Darden Computing Service Desk
Saunders Hall, Room 105
|McIntire School of Commerce||McIntire
School Help Desk
Rouss & Robertson Halls Room 219
|Facilities Management||Facilities Management Help Desk
Lacy Hall, Room 208
8AM–10AM, 12–3PM, Mon.-Fri.
Once you have a PassPhrase, do not lose it! You need it to finish the last step in your ID verification process.
Last—Complete Your UVa ID Verification Process
- After showing your documents for proof of identity at the appropriate ID Verification location,
you’ll get a PassPhrase.
Your UVa Account Setup PassPhrase is a unique combo of letters & numbers on a white slip of paper with some instructions attached.
- Go to whois.virginia.edu/idm. For security, do not do this on a public computer, nor a public,
free WiFi network. You’ll need to:
- Log in via NetBadge
- Provide your PassPhrase
- Provide your 9-digit University ID number (listed on your UVa ID card, or look it up with your Social Security number & a password)
- Set your 4 personal security questions and answers.
- Think carefully as you select these. Pick questions for which you easily know the answer, but others do not.
- Note that the answers to your security questions must be longer than 4 characters.
- Establish your Permanent UVa password. You will have the opportunity to:
- Accept a suggested password that is automatically generated for you; or
- Re-enter the password you already use for NetBadge to set it as Permanent, or
- Create your own strong password that meets the security requirements.
- Congratulations, you’re done! Securely destroy your PassPhrase.
Your UVa passwords are now all synchronized by default. You can now reset your UVa password(s) via the Manage Your Passwords & Personal Security Questions tool and access websites protected by Enhanced NetBadge, if required.