Identity Management at UVa
ID Verification & Security Questions
In-Person ID Verification at UVa
- Can’t remember if you completed your ID verification? Check Enhanced NetBadge: Available Password & Security Question Management Tools.
- Don’t have a white PassPhrase slip? You need to get ID-verified. Take proof of identity (view acceptable documents) with you to an ID Verification location.
- Already have a PassPhrase, but haven’t used it yet? Follow directions attached to your PassPhrase to complete your ID verification. Finish your process now by following steps #2-4 below.
The UVa ID Verification Process Explained
- Show your document(s) for proof of identity (see acceptable documents) at one of the ID Verification locations. You will be given a personalized white PassPhrase slip with instructions.
- Visit the URL listed on your PassPhrase (http://whois.virginia.edu/idm). For your security, do not do this on a public computer, nor a public, free WiFi network. You will have to log into this site:
- Set your 4 personal security questions and answers.
- Please take your time and think carefully as you select these. Be sure to pick questions for which you easily know the answer, but other persons do not.
- You will use these security questions in the future anytime you need to log into a system protected by Enhanced NetBadge.
- Establish your Permanent UVa password. You will have the opportunity to:
- create your own password (although it must be very strong), or
- re-enter the password you already know to set it as Permanent, or
- accept a password that is automatically generated for you.
Do not destroy your PassPhrase card until you are sure you will remember your Permanent password.
Congratulations, you’re done! Your UVa passwords are now all synchronized, and you can now access online websites and resources protected by Enhanced NetBadge—including the ability to easily change and sync your UVa passwords, if ever needed in the future!
Where to Go & What to Take: In-Person ID Verification Locations
Acceptable Documents: What to Take to Your ID Verification
Proof of Identity Required: Take your UVa ID card (if you have one) and one of the following (required) items to an ID verification location listed below:
- a U.S. Driver’s License or
- a U.S. Military ID Card or
- a U.S. Green Card (US Homeland Security Permanent Resident card) or
- Any government-issued passport.
Where to Go: ID Verification Available at These UVa Locations
- New UVa Students, Faculty, & Staff:
- PassPhrase Requests & Problems: Contact ISPRO Access Management for an appointment 8:30 AM–4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
- UVa ID Cards: Go to the University ID Card Office. (Note: New students typically get ID-verified as part of their Summer Orientation. The ID Card Office will do this when you pick up your UVa ID.)
- Medical Center Employees, School of Medicine, & School of Nursing Students:
- The Claude Moore Health Sciences Library circulation desk offers ID verifications on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM for medical center-related library patrons.
- Darden School of Business Students & Employees:
- Contact the Darden School of Business Help Desk at 924-3276 to complete your process.
- Commerce School Students & Employees:
- Contact the McIntire School Help Desk.
- Nursing School Students & Employees:
- Contact the Nursing School Help Desk.
- Facilities Management Employees:
- Contact the Facilities Management Help Desk at 982-5579 to complete your process.
- All Other Academic Employees & Students:
- Contact ISPRO Access Management for an appointment 8:30 AM–4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.