Your digital identity facilitates access to UVA resources. That identity is created through a set of business processes, policies, data governance, and supporting technologies known as an identity and access management framework.
The current identity management system is outdated and can’t keep pace with demands. A project is underway to implement a new identity & access management system that will enable appropriate and timely creation, maintenance, and use of digital identities.
What's in It for Me?
- New users will no longer be required to appear on Grounds and pick up their University ID card before being able to claim their computing ID. Computing IDs will be claimed and activated via a new online process.
- New faculty and staff and/or their LSPs will no longer have to request access to UVA’s email system. Office 365 email accounts will be created automatically, based upon the user’s classification.
- The new system will support multiple, concurrent user affiliation types (e.g. a part-time staff member who is enrolled as a graduate student will be classified as both staff and student).
- Users will access one website to claim and activate computing IDs, change their password, set their preferred professional name (as opposed to legal name), sponsor an account for a contractor/affiliate, request access to administrative systems, and approve access to administrative systems. (NOTE: IAM will gradually replace Esharp)
- There will be near real-time account provisioning and de-activation for the services managed by the new IAM system, with the list of services being expanded over time.