ITS and UVa logos for printed output

Home Directory Service

Web Publishing

You can publish and manage both personal and departmental Web spaces using the UVA Home Directory Service (HDS). Both require a UVA computing ID (e.g., mst3k), Eservices credentials, and a Home Directory Service account. You can publish Web pages without the need to use a UNIX account and you will have access to manage this Web space through the HDS.

You need an active connection to the UVA Network to access the Home Directory Service. If you are off Grounds, connect to the UVA Network by using the UVA Cisco VPN Client (choose UVA Anywhere profile), before attempting to connect to the UVA Home Directory Service.

Web Pages for UVA Students, Employees, Departments/Centers/Events

Individual Websites

The address for all Web pages created for individuals in the UVA community using the Home Directory Service (HDS) is where YourComputingID is your UVA computing ID. So, if your computing ID is mst3k, your Web page is viewable at

  • When you become a student at the University of Virginia, a sample Web page is created for you. You may view your sample Web page at
  • Personal websites for UVA employees may also be hosted on the Home Directory Service and will be viewable at

Departmental Websites

Departmental websites may be hosted on of the Home Directory Service. Paths for a departmental site on the website are typically

Changes in University website hosting and support have led to the redesign of many departmental websites in Drupal. ITS Custom Applications and Consulting Services (CACS) delivers professional end-to-end website solutions, including customer relationship management (Salesforce) and content management (Drupal) components. If you need a website for your department, center or event and lack the expertise to build the site yourself, there are several options. The majority are for-fee. Websites

To help ease access to the important academic work of University faculty, ITS has made available a special type of URL (Web address) and, if needed, special website space for faculty use. The server is intended for the academic activities of faculty and, in special circumstances, graduate students whose academic projects are endorsed by faculty. sites are hosted on of the HDS. Learn more on the Faculty Website Provisioning website.

Working on Your Website

Create and make changes to the appearance of your website by modifying the files stored in the myweb/html folder under the Home Directory Service. In addition to your homepage (the home.html file), you can create more files and add them to the site as well, linking them into your homepage or accessing the URLs directly from a browser.

Example: If user mst3k created a file called "aboutme.html" and placed it in the /home/mst3k/myweb/html folder, the URL for the file would be:

Accessing the Home Directory Folder


The options to connect depend on your operating system and needs:

  • Windows: map a drive to the Home Directory Service. The proper address would be \\\your_computingID. Use ESERVICES\your_computingID as the username and your Eservices password to log on (this is usually the same as your NetBadge login). Full instructions to map a drive are available at:
  • Mac: Open a Finder window and in the top menu choose Go > Connect to Server. Enter smb:// in the Server Address: field and click Connect. Use your computing ID as the username and your Eservices password to log on (this is usually the same as your NetBadge login). Full instructions to connect to the Home Directory via a Mac are at:
  • Web browser (in a supported web browser): Open a web browser to and log in via NetBadge. This is not recommended for mass file transfer, although it will allow you to change permissions on files, and you may drag and drop them to/from your Home Directory.

Departmental websites

  • sites: your path to a site is
  • Departmental sites: your path to a site is
    \\\WebHosts\sitename (Windows and Mac) or
    \\\www\sitename (Mac)

The most efficient way to access the files depends on your operating system; in Windows, map a drive, on a Mac use the Go > Connect To Server window in the Finder and make smb:// or smb:// or smb:// the path.

If mapping a drive to your machine does not work, you may find the HDS Web interface to be the solution you need.

If you need help determining the path for a departmental or website, please contact the UVA Help Desk. ITS will not publish a list of the paths for departmental or University websites due to security reasons.

If you have questions about which directory you should use or how to name a departmental directory, please contact a departmental administrator, your Local Support Partner, or the UVA webmaster.

Creating the Content for a Page

Once you have logged into the Home Directory Service, use an editor or software (like Dreamweaver) to personalize the home.html (or departmental) file. Save the file when you are done. The UVA Branding Guidelines offers information on how to create and structure your pages.

After creating your file, you must upload it to the server.

Uploading the Page

Once you have created the Web page, you have to save it to your public (or departmental) Web directory. As an example, the myweb folder is used for storing the contents of a personal website. Anything you save to that folder will be accessible to anybody that can get to your website.

  1. Connect to the Home Directory Service using the Home Directory Login Utility. (See the page about Home Directory Service Login Utility for Windows and for Mac for help with connecting).
  2. Open the myweb or departmental folder under your Home Directory.
  3. Open the folder where you have your Web page(s) saved that you wish to publish.
  4. Copy and paste the files you want to publish into the myweb or departmental folder.

Viewing the Web Page

You can view your published personal Web page at where mst3k is your UVA computing ID and pagename.html is the name of the file you are trying to access.

Faculty and departmental pages would be reached via an address like or

Setting File Permissions

You can set file permissions to allow others access to your files and directories from the Home Directory Service Web Interface at

Setting up a Secure HTTP Site on the Home Directory

If you need a website that needs to use Secure HTTP for security, you may create a folder underneath the myweb folder named ssl. Note that this folder is not available by default — it must be created by the owner of the folder.

It will also use the same home.html file as the default home page (this will also need to be created by the owner). Once the home.html folder is created, if your computing ID is mst3k, your Web page will be viewable at

  Page Updated: Friday 2018-03-30 15:40:53 EDT