The UVa Hive
How to Connect to the Hive on Windows
Supported Windows Operating Systems for the UVa Hive
Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP
Download & Install the VMware Client for Windows
Note: You only have to do this part the first time you connect to the Hive. After that, you can always skip down to Connecting to the Hive, Logging In, and Launching Software.
- Download the appropriate VMware View Open client for your computer from UVa’s Software Central. How to tell if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit.
- Download the installer for 32-bit VMware View client (version 5.1).
- Download the installer for 64-bit VMware View client (version 5.1).
Note: Internet Explorer versions 7, 8, and 9 include a Phishing/SmartScreen Filter to help protect you from phishing websites while browsing the Web. You must first turn the filter off to install the VMware View software (see Microsoft’s instructions on how to turn the Phishing/SmartScreen Filter off). Remember to turn the filter back on after you finish installing VMware View for the Hive!
- Click Save. Your browser will probably display warning screens about using
an EXE file or downloading a file from an unverified publisher; but do not worry.
Just click OK to continue.
- After you click Save, find the downloaded installer .exe file in
your Downloads folder.
- If you are using Windows 8, select “Run.”
- If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, right-click on the installer and select “Run as administrator.”
- If you are using Windows XP, double-click the .exe file to run it.
- After you click Save, find the downloaded installer .exe file in your Downloads folder.
- Click on Next.
- Proceed through the installation wizard screens, clicking Next as needed. You will have to accept the terms of the license, and then click Next a few more times.
- Ensure the Default View Connection Server lists hive.eservices.virginia.edu. If it lists something else, change it by deleting whatever appears there and manually typing hive.eservices.virginia.edu instead.
- Click Next.
- Select where you want your VMware View connection program shortcuts to show up on your computer (i.e., your desktop, on the All Programs list off of the Start Menu, Quick Launch toolbar, etc.). This shortcut is what you will click on in the future to launch the client, anytime you want to connect to the Hive. Click Next again as needed.
- Click the Install button. You will see the following window:
You may have to wait a few moments during installation; please be patient.
- When the installation is complete, click Finish.
- You may be prompted to restart your computer. If so, restart your computer.
You have completed the first-time setup. Proceed to Connecting to the Hive, Logging In, & Launching Software. (From now on, you can always skip to that step.)
Connecting to the Hive, Logging In, & Launching Software
- To connect to the Hive, double-click on the VMware View Client shortcut icon wherever you chose to place it on your computer in step 4c of the First-Time VMware View Client Setup Instructions, above.
- Note: You may have opted for this icon to appear on your desktop, the All Programs list off of the Start Menu, the Quick Launch toolbar, etc.
- Click on Connect.
- The first time you connect, you will see this window about software license restrictions.
Please read, then click OK.
- You will see a login screen. Type:
- Username: your Eservices computing ID (your UVa computing ID, e.g., mst3k)
- Password: your Eservices password (Don’t know this password? It’s often the password you use for your other UVa computing accounts, but you can (re)set it if needed.)
- Domain: Eservices (Select from the dropdown list if not already selected)
- The next window will show you the Hive desktop. Select it, then click Continue.
- Note: In this dialog box, you can opt for the Hive to display in a Large Window or another size window if desired.
- Note: This is also the dialog box where you can select your display protocol. (See the FAQ, What is the difference between the RDP and PCoIP protocols in the Hive? Why do I choose one over the other?).
- After a few seconds, you will see a Welcome screen, and then you will see the desktop of your virtual computer.
- To launch the software you want to use, click the Start button at the bottom left of the Hive desktop, which will open the Windows Start Menu.
- Then click on All Programs to see a list of all software available on the Hive. Click the name of the software program you want to use, and it will open in the Hive.