The UVa Hive
How to Connect to the Hive on a Mac
Supported Mac Operating Systems for the UVa Hive
Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.7 (Lion), and 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Download & Install the VMware Client for Your Mac
Note: You only have to do this part the first time you connect to the Hive. After that, you can always skip down to Connecting to the Hive, Logging In, and Launching Software.
- If you had the VMware View Open client installed prior to August 2012, then before proceeding:
- Uninstall the older VMware View Open client, and then
- Uninstall Microsoft Remote Desktop, if present.
- Download the Hive VMware View Open client (version 5.1) from UVa’s Software Central. Firefox is recommended for the installation.
- This will put the Hive VMware View Client icon on your desktop. Double-click the icon.
- This will open a screen with a picture of the UVa Hive VMware View Client.
Double-click it to start the installation process.
- Click through all of the default prompts and select Install. You will get a window stating the installation is completed; close the Install Succeeded window.
- The Hive VMware View Client installer will still be visible on your desktop. Drag it to the trash to dismount the disk image.
You have completed the first-time setup. Proceed to Connecting to the Hive, Logging In, & Launching Software. (From now on, you can always skip to that step.)
- Launch the VMware View Client program by going into your Applications folder, finding VMware View Client in the list, and double-clicking the name.
- This will open the window pictured below.
- Tip: Ensure the Address for the host name or IP address
of the View Connection Server lists hive.eservices.virginia.edu. If it lists
something else, change it by clicking on the in the upper righthand corner and entering
- Tip: Ensure the Address for the host name or IP address of the View Connection Server lists hive.eservices.virginia.edu. If it lists something else, change it by clicking on the in the upper righthand corner and entering hive.eservices.virginia.edu instead.
- Double-click on the connection server icon.
- You will see a window about software license restrictions. Please read, then click Continue.
- You will then see a login screen. Type:
- Username: your Eservices computing ID (your UVa computing ID, e.g., mst3k)
- Password: your Eservices password (Don’t know this password? It’s often the password you use for your other UVa computing accounts, but you can (re)set it if needed.)
- Domain: Eservices (Select from the dropdown list if not already selected)
- Click Continue.
- The next window will show you the Hive desktop. Select it, then click Continue.
- Note: In this dialog box, you can opt for the Hive to display in a Large Window or another size window if desired.
- Note: This is also the dialog box where you can select your display protocol. (See the FAQ, What is the difference between the RDP and PCoIP protocols in the Hive? Why do I choose one over the other?).
- You may see warning screens about connecting to a Windows computer; but do not worry. You may also be prompted to enter your keychain (or computer) password. Click Continue.
- After a few seconds, you will see a Welcome screen, and then you will see the desktop of the virtual Windows computer in the Hive.
- To launch the software you want to use, click the Start button at the bottom left of the Hive desktop, which will open the Windows Start Menu.
- Then click on All Programs to see a list of all software. Click the name of the software program you want to use, and it will open in the Hive.