The UVA Hive
How to Connect to the Hive on a Mac
Supported Mac Operating Systems for the UVA Hive
Legacy Mac OSX 10.10 and 10.11 Issue
Users with Mac OSX 10.10 and 10.11 are unable to connect to the Hive due to client side certificate issues. ITS has identified a fix for these legacy Mac OSes »
There are no reported issues with macOS Sierra (Mac OSX 10.12).
Download & Install the VMware Client for Your Mac
Note: You only have to do this part the first time you connect to the Hive. After that, you can always skip down to Connecting to the Hive, Logging In, & Launching Software.
- Uninstall any older VMware View Open client programs and
Microsoft Remote Desktop, if applicable:
- Open the Applications folder and check whether “VMWare View Open” or “Remote Desktop Connection” are listed.
- If so, select the application(s) and drag to the Trash to uninstall.
- Obtain the appropriate VMware View client for your computer by downloading from the UVA Software Gateway. (Firefox is recommended for this installation.)
- This will put the Hive VMware View Client icon on your desktop. Double-click the icon.
- This will open a screen with a picture of the View Client 5.3.0 and the
Control-click on the View Client 5.3.0 and choose Open to
start the installation process.
- Click through all of the default prompts and select Install. You will get a window stating the installation is completed; close the Install Succeeded window.
- Next, Control-click on the RDC Installer and choose Open to start that installation.
- Again, click through all of the default prompts and select Install. You will get a window stating the installation is completed; close the Installation was successful window.
- The Hive VMware View Client installer will still be visible on your desktop. Drag it to the trash to dismount the disk image.
You have completed the first-time setup. Proceed to Connecting to the Hive, Logging In, & Launching Software. (From now on, you can always skip to that step.)
Connecting to the Hive, Logging In, & Launching Software
- Launch the VMware Horizon View Client program by going into your Applications folder, finding VMware Horizon View Client in the list, and double-clicking the name.
- This will open the window pictured below.
- Tip: Ensure the Address for the host name or IP address
of the View Connection Server lists hive.eservices.virginia.edu. If it lists
something else, change it by clicking on the in the upper righthand corner and entering
- Tip: Ensure the Address for the host name or IP address of the View Connection Server lists hive.eservices.virginia.edu. If it lists something else, change it by clicking on the in the upper righthand corner and entering hive.eservices.virginia.edu instead.
- Double-click on the connection server icon.
- You will see a window about software license restrictions. Please read, then click Continue.
- You will then see a login screen. Type:
- Username: your UVA computing ID (e.g., mst3k)
- Password: your UVA password (Don’t know this password? You can (re)set it if needed.)
- Domain: Eservices (Select from the dropdown list if not already selected)
- Click Continue.
- The next window will show you the Hive desktop. Select it, then click Continue.
- Note: In this dialog box, you can opt for the Hive to display in a Large Window or another size window if desired.
- Note: This is also the dialog box where you can select your display protocol. (See the FAQ, What is the difference between the RDP & PCoIP protocols? Why choose one over the other?).
- You may see warning screens about connecting to a Windows computer; but do not worry. You may also be prompted to enter your keychain (or computer) password. Click Continue.
- After a few seconds, you will see a Welcome screen, and then you will see the desktop of the virtual Windows computer in the Hive.
- To launch the software you want to use, click the Start button at the bottom left of the Hive desktop, which will open the Windows Start Menu.
- Then click on All Programs to see a list of all software. Click the name of the software program you want to use, and it will open in the Hive.