Get Started at UVa
New to the U? How to Get Started with Computing & Communications
New UVa Students
To activate your UVa student computing accounts including UVa Gmail, take the Responsible Computing Tutorial. See also:
New UVa Employees
“Onboarding” for new faculty & staff:
Getting Started with Computing at UVa
Connect to the Internet
- Connect to the Internet at UVa via UVa Wi-Fi or a wired Ethernet connection.
- You need a personal digital certificate to:
- use our encrypted cavalier wireless network; and
- log into NetBadge using your certificate (a faster, more secure method) than ID and password.
Your UVa Computing Accounts
- UVa email services: About UVa Gmail, About UVa Exchange Service, About UVa Central Mail Service
- UVa’s online course management & collaboration system: About UVaCollab
- UVa’s cloud-based storage & collaboration service: About UVa Box
- Other UVa computing accounts
Free & Low-Cost Software
You have access to lots of free and low-cost software—including antivirus—as long as you’re at UVa.
- Go to UVa Software to browse and download most titles.
- See the Microsoft Software Chooser Wizard to find out how much Office, Windows, and other Microsoft software will be for you.
Phones, Mobile Devices, & Cable TV
- Mobile devices: How to connect selected smartphones or mobile devices to the UVa network.
- Telephones & voicemail: ITS provides voice communication and telephone services to all University and Health Sciences Center departments and the Regional Centers of the Division of Continuing Education.
- Cable television: ITS provides cable TV services for students in residence halls.
News, Alerts, & Downtimes
- Beware email scams: Bookmark the UVa Security Alerts & Warnings page and/or sign up for its RSS feed. Check unexpected email messages you receive against this page to see if they are fraudulent or known phishing scams. Forward scam emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stay informed: Find out about downtimes and service notices by viewing ITS System Status or subscribing to its email list; by subscribing to ITS RSS feeds; or connect with us on social media for tech news, tips, events, downtimes, & more: