Get Started at UVa
New to the U? How to Get Started with Computing & Communications
New UVa Students
To activate your UVa student computing accounts including UVa Gmail, and take the Responsible Computing Tutorial. See also:
New UVa Employees
“Onboarding” for new faculty & staff:
Other Important Information:
Connect to the Internet
- Connect to the Internet at UVa via UVa Wi-Fi or a wired Ethernet connection.
- You need a personal digital certificate to:
- use our encrypted cavalier wireless network; and
- log into NetBadge using your certificate (a faster, more secure method) than ID and password.
Your UVa Computing Accounts
- UVa email services: About UVa Gmail, About UVa Exchange Service, About UVa Central Mail Service
- UVa’s online course management & collaboration system: About UVaCollab
- UVa’s cloud-based storage & collaboration service: About UVa Box
- Other UVa computing accounts
Free & Low-Cost Software
You have access to lots of free and low-cost software—including antivirus—as long as you’re at UVa.
- Go to UVa Software to browse and download most titles.
- Visit Microsoft Software to view all free and low-cost software titles are available to you.
Phones, Mobile Devices, & Cable TV
- Mobile devices: How to connect selected smartphones or mobile devices to the UVa network.
- Telephones & voicemail: ITS provides voice communication and telephone services to all University and Health Sciences Center departments and the Regional Centers of the Division of Continuing Education. See the University Telephone System website for more information.
- Cable television: ITS provides cable TV services for students in residence halls.
News, Alerts, & Downtimes
- Beware email scams: Bookmark the UVa Security Alerts & Warnings page and/or sign up for its RSS feed. Check unexpected email messages you receive against this page to see if they are fraudulent or known phishing scams. Forward scam emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stay informed: Find out about downtimes and service notices by viewing ITS System Status or subscribing to its email list; by subscribing to ITS RSS feeds; or connect with us on social media for tech news, tips, events, downtimes, & more: