UVA Centralized Exchange Service
UVA’s Centralized Calendar & Email System
[Feb. 16, 2015:] The Microsoft Outlook mobile app has been blocked from accessing the UVA Exchange Service because it employs a third-party server and stores UVA data in an unapproved cloud service. Questions? Contact the UVA Help Desk.
[Apr. 12, 2017] Note: The Outlook Mobile App is supported for those UVA employees who have been upgraded to Office 365.
To learn all the benefits of this service for UVA faculty and staff, see About UVa Exchange.
Get Started with the UVA Centralized Exchange Service
Before You Begin...
- If you’re new to UVA, follow the steps for first-time computing account activation, as you must activate your UVA computing ID before proceeding.
- If you’re not new to the University and are just moving to Exchange from another mail service, continue.
1. Request a UVA Exchange Account
- Faculty and staff only (non-Health System): Request an account through the Service Portal.
2. Create Your Primary Address
- Log into the Email Address Management System to create your primary address—the email address UVA will use to send official notifications to you. (See how to use the Email Address Management System to create your primary address.)
3. Install Microsoft Office on Your Computer
For optimal performance, maximum functionality, and greatest security, ITS recommends using a supported version of Outlook email software when connecting to the UVA Exchange Service on your own computer.
Through UVA’s agreements with Microsoft, most faculty & staff can download Microsoft Office for free to use for University-related work on an institutionally-owned computer.
If, for some reason, you are unable to get Outlook on your computer, use Outlook Web App (OWA), which is completely Web-based—no software is required. You won’t have as much functionality as Outlook, but you will be able to do many things including access your email and calendar from anywhere you have an Internet connection and a Web browser.
After you have completed the steps above, you can get more information about