What is Tech Takeback?
It is an e-waste recycling event hosted by Information Technology Services to recycle old/unwanted personally owed electronics around UVA Grounds.
Why Recycle old Technology?
- E-waste represents 2% of America's trash in landfills, but it equals 70% of overall toxic waste.
- Only 12.5% of e-waste is currently recycled.
- Recycling 1 million laptops saves the energy equivalent to the electricity used by 3,657 U.S. homes in a year.
- A large number of what is labeled as "e-waste" is actually not waste at all, but rather whole electronic equipment or parts that are readily marketable for reuse or can be recycled for materials recovery.
When does the event take place?
March 24, 2017
March 25, 2017
Park at North Grounds
1015 Massie Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903
What items will be accepted?
- Personally owned computers
- LCD Monitors
- Mobile Devices (cell phones, tablets and etc)
- Computer Mice
- Gaming Systems
- VCR/DVD Players
- CD & DVD Disks
- Batteries (car batteries will not be accepted)
- Printer Toners
We will not be able to accept any CRT Glass televisions or monitors. We will also not be able to accept any refrigerators.
Any electronic devices that are property of the University of Virginia must be recycled and processed through surplus.
We encourage you to recycle any personally owned devicees that we do not accept at a local retailer such as Best Buy or Crutchfield!