Desktop Backup Service
CrashPlan is a cloud-enhanced desktop backup service. It securely backs up your endpoint devices to the cloud.
- Cloud storage for backup of up to 4 endpoint devices per user
- Protection against crypto-ransomware and other malicious software that destroys/encrypts content on end-users devices
- Protection of University data on endpoint devices from loss due to hard drive failure, computer failure, etc.
CrashPlan is currently offered at no cost to the University community until June 30, 2019. After that, the cost model/fee structure will be determined for continued use of the service. During this this initial phase, the system has a per-user quota of 250GB. If you need more space and have a valid use case, please contact us and we will do our best to accommodate your need.
Available to These UVA Groups
- University of Virginia-Academic Division Faculty, Staff, and Instructors
- Degree-seeking Graduate Students
What may be backed up using CrashPlan?
Non-Sensitive Data & Moderately Sensitive Data
CrashPlan is only certified for use with non-sensitive and moderately sensitive data. This includes, but is not limited to, the following data types:
If you have questions about what is appropriate in this portal or have concerns that you may have misplaced data, please contact email@example.com immediately.
Note: CrashPlan is not certified for use with highly sensitive data and other restricted data types. This includes, but is not limited to, the following data types:
- Personal Health Information (HIPAA-regulated data types)
- Personal information that, if exposed, can lead to identity theft
- Certain types of research data covered by federal standards such as FISMA
- Any data that is under the control of a Technical Control Plan (TCP) with the Office of Export Controls (a division of Finance Outreach and Compliance), unless explicitly authorized.