Skip to content »
ITS and UVa logos for printed output
MENU menu icon

The Cable Television System at UVa

TV Service for On-Grounds' Residential Students

Overview of Cable TV Services

Channels: Students can get access to the standard University cable service, which includes the major networks, sports channels, music channels, and many others (list of available locations). Premium channels are not available. More information on cable TV channels on Grounds.

Pricing: There is only one cable TV connection per residence hall room. The standard cable charge is $18.60/month (effective 2015-16 academic year).

Cancellation/Deactivation: All cable is scheduled for deactivation at the end of the spring semester each year (deactivation is usually scheduled for right after graduation). If you should request cable deactivation during a holiday break, you will be charged a reconnection fee of $42. If cancellation is needed prior to that time please visit the Communications Services Student Account Information website.

Contracting for Cable TV in Your Residence Hall

Where Cable TV Is Available on Grounds

The following residence halls require a contract for cable TV if you want it in your dorm room:

  • Alderman Road: Balz-Dobie, Cauthen, Courtenay, Dunglison, Fitzhugh, Kellogg, Lile-Maupin, Shannon, Tuttle-Dunnington, Watson-Webb
  • Bice House (living room only)
  • Brown College
  • Dillard: 385, 386, 387, 388 and 389
  • Faulkner Apartments (living room only; additional activation fees may apply)
  • Hereford College
  • International Residential College (IRC)
  • Johnson, Malone, and Weedon
  • Lawn and Range
  • McCormick Road: Bonnycastle, Dabney, Echols, Emmet, Hancock, Humphreys, Kent, Lefevre, Metcalf, and Page
  • Shea House
  • Spanish House

Cable television is not available in student rooms in:

  • Alderman Road: Gibbons
  • Copeley 3 & 4 Apartments
  • Gooch: 381, 382, 383, 384
  • French House
  • Lambeth Apartments

Please note: Cable TV in Graduate Housing at Copeley Hill and University Gardens is managed by UVa Housing and Residence Life; for information or problems, call them at 434-924-3736.

Cable TV Setup Basics

Your TV Cable

Students will need to provide the cable that runs from the wall outlet to the TV. This is a standard 75-ohm part with plug-type F connectors on each end. If the television set has only a dual screw-type antenna connector labeled 300 ohms, a matching transformer will also be needed. These parts are available at all electronics shops and most department stores. The 75-ohm cable can also be purchased from Cavalier Computers in the University Bookstore.

Your Television Itself

Your TV must be cable-ready. “Cable-ready” means your TV is capable of receiving the channels that are typically available on a cable TV system and you should be able to receive the additional channels that are available at UVa. Cable-ready does not imply that the TV is capable of receiving premium channels like HBO and Cinemax. (In fact, premium channels are not available on the UVa system.)

The easiest way to check if your TV is cable-ready is to check your owner’s manual. Older TVs that are not cable-ready generally (but not always) have two different tuners, one for VHF (channels 2-13) and one for UHF (channels 14-83). Cable television also has channel designations that include 2-73, 98, and others, but the UHF and VHF tuners operate in a different band and will not receive the additional channels properly.

Connect one end of the cable to the wall outlet and connect the other end to your TV. You may want to check your cable TV connection status. If you suspect your cable TV outlet isn't working, please contact the UVa Help Desk by calling (434) 924-4357.

Cable TV Billing Information

The CATV billing process during the Academic School Year

  • CATV charges are combined with your Student Information System (SIS) account.
  • Billing is done monthly for the month prior. (For example: September charges will show on your SIS account in October and are due no later than the end of November.)
  • Should you request CATV to be ready for move-in weekend during August your first bill will be prorated. The last bill for May will also be prorated.

Payment is due upon receipt and accepted by the following means

  • QuickPay through your SIS account
  • Check* or money order* made out to "University of Virginia" hand-delivered to Student Financial Services in the basement of Carruthers Hall
  • Check* or money order* made out to "University of Virginia" mailed to Student Payment Processing, P.O. Box 400999, Charlottesville, VA 22904

* Please be sure to note in the memo area the student's ID number and that the check is for CATV.

Connect/Disconnect costs

  • We allow one free connect and disconnect.
  • If Housing moves you, please inform us of the move and there is no charge.
  • If you choose to disconnect over the winter break, there will be a $42.00 reconnect fee.
  • Should you plan to leave the University and not return, please notify Not doing so, will result in charges until notification or the end of the school semester, whichever comes first.
  • ALL CATV is disconnected after graduation and billed through that date unless you change your disconnect date via the Communication Services Student Account Information website.

Problems with Cable TV

Please note: Cable TV in Graduate Housing at Copeley Hill and University Gardens is managed by UVa Housing and Residence Life; for information or problems, call them at 434-924-3736. Problems with cable TV at the Inn at Darden should be reported to the Darden Gatehouse at 434-243-5000.

Cable television malfunctions should be reported to the UVa Help Desk at 434-924-HELP (434-924-4357).

Billing, contract, any other questions should be addressed to ITS Communication Services—call 434-924-6879, email, or visit our offices in Carruthers Hall (across from Barracks Road Shopping Center), Monday through Friday between 8 AM and 5 PM.

  Page Updated: 2015-09-08