ITS Communication Services
Telephone, Cable TV, and Paging Services
Telephone System Transition Now Underway: VoIP is coming! (June 2014—December 2015)
The University has begun the process of transitioning existing Siemens telephone system/ROLM phones (the "legacy" phone system) to the Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) system and phones (the "new" University Telephone System). Approximately 26,000 phone lines from both the academic and medical center sides will be migrated between now and December 2015.
Between June 2014 and December 2015, there will be 2 phones systems in use at UVa. Use the information from the sections below based on the type of phone you are currently using.
Students, see info for newly-admitted students »
Important information about the current/"legacy"/Siemens system:
- requesting service and/or service changes with the Communication Service Request (CSR) system,
- voicemail (Xpressions) for faculty, staff, and students.
Important information about the new/VoIP/University Telephone System:
- tentative transition schedule and list of department telephone representatives,
- using your new phone,
- voicemail for faculty and staff,
- frequently asked questions.
Other telephone-related information:
- cellular service,
- long-distance service (including Forced Authorization Codes (FACs) and student PINS),
- the University of Virginia Telephone Directory, and
- more can be found in the Section Navigation pane to your right under Telephones— including use of in-bound 800 numbers, equipment installation/relocation/removal, telephone service billing, and telephone system management within departments.
Cable television service is available to students living in on-Grounds residence halls.
Used mainly in the Medical Center the paging system is often referred to as the SIMON Paging System or just SIMON. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and reaches all areas in the UVa hospital and areas within a radius of approximately 25 miles of the hospital.
Communication Services Staff/Locations
Staff is located in Carruthers Hall.
The Carruthers Hall staff is responsible for processing requests for both service changes and equipment installation/relocation/removal. This group also handles telephone service billing (CSRs), requests for Forced Authorization Codes (FACs), conference calling cards, voicemail service, requests for in-bound 800 numbers, and preparation of the University of Virginia Telephone Directory.
The group's services are available to the entire University, Health Sciences Center departments, and the Regional Centers of the School of Continuing and Professional Studies (SCPS).
Send questions about Communication Services via email or call the main ITS Communication Services office at 434-924-4148.